Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Un-Chicken Update

Yes, I know. We are still chicken-deficient. I have wonderful excuses; I was out of town on and off for two months, hubby redid the floors and all extra stuff got moved to the basement where we planned to house the new chicks, we've had other problems to take care of,  it's been hot...

(my mom's friend has chickens)

But truth be known, we just haven't gone to get any chicks. Finding the exact breeds we want locally has proved not as easy as we would think. Plus, the little one wants to see the baby chicks grow up but I'm getting to the point in my thinking that I might want pullets that are about ready to lay. We could use some free food about now. As I see it, if we get chicks, they won't start laying for another 6 months. We're talking December. Eggs for Christmas. That seems like a long time away! Then, to add insult to injury, if they come into maturity (ie: 5-6 months old) during the winter months, they won't start laying until spring. What's up with that?! 

I've read if you provide a light source in their winter home that stays on longer than the sun is out, like it is summer, they will continue to lay. All this information and I'm confuddled as to what I should do. I think the best thing to do is to start building a coop. And a winter coop as well. Then, after I've felt like we've committed well enough by building the coops, I will feel happy to get the chicks. The other idea was to get a couple pullets and a couple chicks. Although I'm not so sure the pullets won't start pecking the chicks to death. Anyone know?



(I want my chickens to be helpful like these!)

I found this wonderful advice today at 2nd Generation of Homeschooling, for if ever I get me some chickens; "We rake the fall leaves from our many trees into a one-foot pile in the chicken run. When the leftovers from our kitchen (rinds, peels, scraps, scrapings, etc.) and chicken scratch are thrown into the run for the chickens to eat, the chickens scratch around, trampling and tearing apart the leaves, which mixes with their manure. After a few weeks, the one-foot pile is just an inch or so high and it is raked out and into our compost bin for use in the garden in the spring! This is wonderful fertilizer that we make for free."

See? Something else for free! Poop!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...